Traditional to contemporary: window styles for every home
Whether you're basking in the warmth of natural sunlight or enjoying a gentle breeze, with the windows you can enjoy many things, add character to your home and connect with the outside world. Sure, windows offer the practical functionality of keeping the elements in check, but they also frame your exterior views and help maintain the energy efficiency and comfort of your living space. Failure to replace your old, worn windows will cause stress and problems for your household. Windows that have reached the end of their life should be replaced.
MATCHING WINDOWS AND APARTMENTS: If you invest in the replacement of windows, you will find a window style that really complements the architectural design of your home.
There are many factors to consider when choosing new windows for your home. These replacement devices not only have to look good inside and out, they also have to be robust, energy-efficient and low-maintenance – all at a reasonable price. Above all, they have to complement the existing architectural design of your home. Fortunately, there are window styles that can work with both traditional and contemporary themes.
The functionality of double hanging windows
They say nothing beats the classics. Perhaps this is the reason why American homeowners have preferred double-hung windows for decades. With two wings that slide up and down, they are a perfect addition to any area in the house, such as the bedroom, living room, kitchen and even the bathroom. Do you want to improve natural ventilation in a room? Do you need to install air conditioning? Depending on which wing you open, you can use a number of functions from double-hanging windows.
Double-hanging windows are classic favorites with two operable sashes that provide better natural lighting and ventilation all year round.
Double windows offer the following advantages:
- Easy maintenance. Since both wings of a double-hanging window are fully functional, you can easily reach the inside and outside surfaces of the panels when cleaning. Some models make maintenance even easier by having tilting wings. This means that you don't have to go outside to wash the other side of the panel. Simply wipe the sash with a washcloth and you can make a double hanging window look good year after year.
- Superior ventilation. Since both sashes can be opened, double-hanging windows offer excellent ventilation control. For best results, open both wings and let in fresh, cool air from below while pushing warm, stale air out through the opening at the top.
- Double-hanging wings do not swing out, which means there is no risk of accidentally hitting anyone or anything while you open your window. For this reason, they are well suited for areas with heavy pedestrian traffic such as terraces and walkways. The lower wings can also be kept closed at all times if you have pets or small children at home.
Double-hung windows can complement a wide range of living styles, from traditional Victorian houses in a modern style. You can use colors and accessories to personalize your windows and customize them to your design. For traditional houses, for example, you can choose darker colors such as sand and dark brown to convey the sophistication of the old world. Modern houses, on the other hand, can use lighter tones such as white and canvas to emphasize the light and airy feel in the structure. You can also combine double hanging windows by installing multiple units in a row to enhance the effects of the window style.
The simplicity of casement windows
Window styles offer various functions. Some provide natural light, others better improve ventilation. Do you want to enjoy the best of both worlds? Select casement. The wings have a simple structure and are articulated laterally. They work like a door and swing out. They also have extensive glass surfaces that offer a clear view of the outside.
THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS: If you want to improve both the natural lighting and the ventilation of your home, casement windows are the way to go.
Here are some of the most notable advantages that casement windows offer:
- Improved energy efficiency. When closed, casement windows form a tight seal that prevents outside air from entering and inside air escaping. This stabilizes the temperature in the house and minimizes the load on your HVAC system. As a result, this leads to more efficient energy use, which leads to savings on your electricity bills.
- Abundant lighting and ventilation. Since casement windows have large glass surfaces, they let in a lot of natural light and illuminate your home. You can also angle the wings so that you can direct the breeze into your home for excellent ventilation.
- Outstanding security. Most casement windows are equipped with hook-shaped locks that are embedded in their frames. These are difficult to reach from the outside and offer a reliable level of security for your home.
Thanks to their simple and classic design, casement windows are well suited for traditional houses. But you can also blend seamlessly into a contemporary home. Thanks to modern technology, today's casement windows can be customized with different colors, fittings and accessories to perfectly complement any living style.
The versatility of sliding windows
Sliding windows, also known as sliding windows, are ideal for homeowners who are looking for a minimalist, versatile and user-friendly window solution. These units usually have two panels that work like double tips, except that they slide horizontally.
THE LARGE SPACE SAVER: sliding windows are ideal for confined spaces because, unlike casement windows that swing out to open, they do not require any free space.
Sliding windows have some important advantages that distinguish them from other window styles, such as:
- Space-saving functions. Since their panels do not open to the outside, sliding windows are ideal for rooms in which a projecting window could block a walkway or terrace. You can also place them near the door as they don't take up space when opening or closing.
- Panoramic views. Sliding windows are mostly made of glass and offer a wide view outside. For this reason, you can enjoy a wonderful view from every room and at the same time support a smooth transition between your interior and exterior.
- Operation simple. Operating these windows requires little effort. Simply push it gently to open or close it and you're done! This is possible because sliding windows have light panels that can slide easily along rails.
Regardless of the space limitations in your home or the features of your preferred aesthetics, there is a sliding window that meets your requirements. If you have a traditional home and want to emphasize the feeling of the old world of your home, choose standard locking handles and finger pulls in rustic colors. If you want to spice things up in your modern home, you can use more innovative hardware such as the flush-mounted wing lock from Andersen and the passive wing handle.
The elegance of bay windows and bow windows
If you want to significantly change the appeal of your home for curbs without having to undertake major renovations, the installation of bay windows or bay windows is the right way. Because they look striking, they attract attention everywhere and attract attention for the right reasons. Bays and arches both protrude from the outer walls, but differ in the number of panels, with the bays consisting of three and the arches consisting of four to six units.
Installing these window styles offers the following advantages:
- Additional space. Bay windows and bay windows protrude from your house, which means that they contribute to increasing the floor area. This creates a small corner inside that you can use as a window seat or additional storage space.
- Flexible configuration. You can use multiple window styles when you create a bay window or bay window. If ventilation is your top priority, choose wings in your configuration. If you keep it classy and simple, double rabbits may be a better choice.
- Magnificent view. Since bay windows and bay windows lead to large glass surfaces, they are best suited for rooms with a great view outside. They offer numerous viewing angles so that you can enjoy the view from every side.
By customizing window grille patterns, you can match your windows to your traditional or modern home. Colonial, farmhouse, and prairie style patterns go well with traditional structures, while modified prairie patterns and bespoke patterns are ideal for modern homes. You can also play with colors and fittings so that your bay and bay windows fit perfectly into your home.
Get more expert tips and recommendations on choosing the perfect window for your home from a trusted window replacement company near you. Regardless of your home design, you benefit from their expertise so that you can make the most of your investment.
Kathryn Ruth is the marketing director for Renewal by Andersen from Seattle. With more than a decade in the industry, she has first-hand knowledge and experience when it comes to window replacement solutions that she shares with customers and homeowners. You can find Kat updates in the company blog!